Prix en g1 pour la création de cartes dans le jeu Xonotic

French Topic by Fern:
Xonotic est un jeu FPS entièrement libre. Une partie importante de la communauté est située en Europe et notamment en France.
Afin d’encourager la création de cartes pour le jeu, il a été proposé d’organiser un concours afin de récompenser les créateurices des meilleures cartes.
Seriez-vous partantts pour vous contribuer à la dotation d’un prix en g1 pour soutenir le développement du jeu et faire connaître la g1 dans cette communauté ?

English Topic:
What do the forums think about sponsoring the creation of video game maps through a contest? One of my friends is currently gauging interest within a FOSS game community.

https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=8499

I think it can be a mutually beneficial exchange:

• distribution of G1 introduces more people to the free economy
  • new free works that otherwise may not have existed.
2 « J'aime »

if these people don’t already know Libre Currency, what whould be their incentive for creating a map ?

the forum post don’t mention any prize monney, no ammonut and no currency …

The disadvantages of debt currency and traditional online payment processors are beginning to show in multiple communities even though people don’t openly talk about it. If they don’t already know about libre currency, this can be an introduction. Mind that map creation is a time consuming and sometimes unrewarded task done for the community. It does not occur very often.

You can reference the third post as « their incentive for creating a map ».

They have also held a tournament for cryptocurrency in the past, but now cryptocurrency is associated with dumb hype and speculation. So the details of introducing the prize should be secondary to the event’s details.

I assume that most developers wouldn’t find any way to spend their g1 even if we sponsored them.
And probably users of g1 aren’t willing to send g1 to isolated users who won’t be able to buy stuff where they live, it’s a waste of money.
I’d be willing to sponsor the creation of foss video games that I like, if the developers are already connected to a community where they have fair chances of spending their g1.

there could be link we can not imagine from now.

I would contribute to found a prize in June

to my mind, it should be a part of the prize (regular currency plus libre currency)

Most of Xonotic’s playerbase is in Europe including France. If that’s your concern, I believe some developers and map creators have very fair chances of spending G1 and getting certified. Not all transactions are limited to geography however.

Then why not. Just make it clear for them what they will be able to buy in g1 & under which conditions, and find g1 users to sponsor your project. I can translate a short text into French for this forum/g1 platforms and your Xonotic forum if you want to !

It’s too soon to open a prize pot at the moment. First, we need to measure interest in the event and finalize the details of the contest.

But yes, a short French translation of the idea will help.

Xonotic est un jeu FPS entièrement libre. Une partie importante de la communauté est située en Europe et notamment en France.
Afin d’encourager la création de cartes pour le jeu, il a été proposé d’organiser un concours afin de récompenser les créateurices des meilleures cartes.
Seriez-vous partantts pour vous contribuer à la dotation d’un prix en g1, afin de soutenir le développement du jeu et de faire connaître la g1 dans cette communauté ?

1 « J'aime »

I added your text to the opening post. If you would like to suggest French tags, you’re welcome to pitch in.

Update:

There seems to be healthy interest in the contest without a direct mention of the prize. However, I’d like to get one thing out of the way.

I had shown G1 to someone else earlier who was interested enough to download a wallet. I had offered to give him G1, but he ended up declining because there was no functioning desktop wallet for him to use.

He tried Sakia, Silkaj, and was not willing to use a web browser extension. So his interest in G1 ended there.

I made this thread because the desktop version of Cesium fails to start:

It’d be great if this can be quickly addressed.

2 « J'aime »

Je suis joueur occasionnel de Xonotic.

Avec le système de @matograine pour faire des don utilisable jusqu’à une date donnée, rendu à l’envoyer si non consommé à la dite date, proposer un lot de Ǧ1 pour la création de carte Xonotic me branche.

Et idéalement, intégrer le logo de la Ǧ1 dans une map me brancherais bien aussi.

PS : j’adorerais avoir une map de speed run / defrag ou départ et/ou arrivée sont constitués d’un gros logo Ǧ1.

2 « J'aime »

Hey Scuti,

You can try to raise a crowdfunding for such a project, on gannonce…

1 « J'aime »

The contest narrowed down the design to a single game mode (Team Deathmatch) to make judging fair between participants.For the time being, no G1 themed defrag map, but I think one successful contest should encourage more in the future.

The contest is scheduled to start on the 29th. So yes, I’ll start to open the prize pot soon (once participants are confirmed).

Update: I’m thinking of opening the prize pot for donations.

gannonce vs gchange? Initially, I was thinking of opening the crowdfunding ad on gchange since a large portion of the market can be seen from there (where winners can spend). gchange also has an interface in English.

Here’s my draft for the crowdfunding ad.

Xonotic Mapping Contest 2021 Prize Pot

Xonotic is a free and open source first person shooter game (GNU GPL V3). To assist in development and the creation of new content, I propose sponsoring a prize in G1 for the creation of new maps.

The mapping contest is scheduled to run until March 15th. It will take a map creator one month on average to design a new map then an extra two or three months (after the contest) to beautify it.

The prize distribution is as follows assuming there are six participants:

25% 1st place
20% 2nd place
15% 3rd place
10% participant
10% participant
10% participant

+10% judges’ choice bonus.

The distribution will be adjusted if there are more or less participants. If no participants accept G1, we will return all donated funds.

Contest Schedule:

Map Creation
to 2021/03/05

Public Playtesting
to 2021/03/12

Judging
to 2021/03/15

Reference: Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm)

Posted on gchange
https://www.gchange.fr/#/app/market/view/AXdFYlrHaml2THvBARxC/xonotic-mapping-contest-2021

The contest concluded with one participant winning by default. Also the new map is tracked here:

http://stats.xonotic.org/map/12167

The winner won 150 G1. Right after he won the contest, he wanted to buy a Steam game using it. Thoughts on this?