Online Meeting to discuss how to develop the Free Currency for english speakers

Present were: Soph, Lukas, FanFan, Corrine, Spencer, Hugo and Moul.

We discussed:

• existing english resources (most are already available in these forums)
  • translating the content from monnaie-libre.fr into english
  • the fact that « libre currency » translates well in english because: « libre » is understood as liberty while « free » is often confused with « free beer »… that currency is better than money for expressing « medium of exchange ».
  • that it’s difficult to start a community of users in a new region and get them certified because « know them well: IRL », the distance rule, and fewer community gatherings IRL… but that it’s very important and easy to get existing members to contribute to fund-raisers aimed at getting g1 into the hands of new users so they can learn and start exchanging. also that starting new communities works better with a small circle of friends who can focus on teaching others and organizing to certify new members, stressing that new members still need to reach out asap to other communities to achieve the distance rule.
  • possibility of english social media channels: facebook or telegram… and inviting english speakers to existing francophone channels that have bilingual visitors regularly.
    … and hopefully @MissSoph will fill in what I’ve missed.
5 « J'aime »

Okay. I was hoping for something more specific. Based on that recap, those are challenges already obvious to me before I joined this forum.

Right now a few friends and I are aware of Ğ1 and use gchange to a limited extent. My input for Ğ’s adoptance would be to participate in services that can be accomplished online or to trade digital goods.

Let’s say for example, my friend is a writer. He will produce writings e.g fiction or articles in English. Even if he can not buy food or pay rent with Ğ1 he can commission translators (for new audiences, or helping language learners) or artists (for cover at, worldbuilding).

We can take this a step further. The money in English to French translations will go back to France. But assume if he had found an artist to commission. The artist for example would want photographs as reference or photobashing material. Still possible to contribute from France without shipping charges involved.

Anohter easy thing would be video gamers. Let’s say for example, a video gamer creates a new map or mod and receive donations. He will likely want to spend it on a new video game which will be easy to deliver through Steam or GOG.

2 « J'aime »

Hi! Thank you @Spencer971 That’s perfect!

I would only add that we discussed the idea to set up online meetings in English on a regular basis to allow people to meet and discuss the Libre Currency in English.

We discussed the possibility to set up a monthly meeting in English to welcome newcomers to the G1 and build an English community + a monthly meeting Table Française that @FanfanJub is going to try to get back to life with the initiator of these French meetings for English people speaking a bit French.

I am going to create an other English online meeting in May on the Forum calendar. Does the last Tuesday of the month works for you guys ? Or would you rather do it on the weekends ? Also what is the best time for all of you ?

I also tried to create an English Telegram Channel, but it already existed since last year !! Join us here Telegram: Contact @LibreCurrency

1 « J'aime »

If you do online meetings, your past discussion can not be indexed by a public search engine, and your online meetings will require additional software that everyone may not agree to use.

1 « J'aime »

That’s interesting ideas.
During the call we also discussed that there is two kind of communities we can build with the G1 : local or distance one. At first, it will be easier to develop it with a distanced community and exchanging services (like guitar classes, or English classes) - better than goods to avoid sending things to the other side of the world.

I’ve been trying to develop the G1 in home town in the center of France where there are barely any G1 users. I started monthly online meetings with people from the Auvergne region where is my hometown, and with the help of more experienced people we figured we had to build a loop of exchange. Meaning : identify people who have valuable things to exchange like food, and then find out what they would need to find in the system with the G1 they would receive, then look for people who can offer what they need - and try to build a loop this way.
I started a fund raiser and got 6000 G1 in less than 24 h, and I am using it to donate 100 G1 to every newcomer in my hometown so that they can start using it while waiting to be certified.

These are ideas that could be usefull to develop a distance community for English speaking countries or for local communities where there are a group of motivated people.

1 « J'aime »

We could do both, online meetings to welcome newcomers and to discuss how to expand the G1, and discuss ideas to develop on the forum in the other hand.
But to bring an idea forward and make it into a project, I believe we need to discuss it for real and have meetings

I think we can build the distance community and market through what we have currently (gchange). But I think the tagging feature should be acknowledged more.

If every listing related to the English language was tagged #english, gchange would have a lot more to offer English speakers. Similarly, if every listing that can be accomplished remotely were tagged #remote or something appropriate, then it would be easy to see what gchange can offer to those in the distance community.

2 « J'aime »

Here are some media I have access to:

A Mastodon account Ğ1 Libre Currency (@librecurrency@mastodon.social) - Mastodon

A twitter account https://twitter.com/LibreCurrency

A facebook page Ğ1 Libre Currency - Accueil | Facebook

A facebook group Ğ1 Libre Currency . The fb page is admin of the group.

https://libre-currency.org/ is a Grav website managed via https://libre-currency.org/admin

we have a good relationship with @openUBI ( https://cryptoubi.org/ )

Good idea!! Do you know the developpers who work on Gchange ? Could we discuss this with them ?

the developer of Gchange is @kimamila . He is not very available at the moment.
The best way to collaborate with him is Ğchange · GitHub

Ok, I see. That would require some people with some technical skills which I dont have. But we could maybe try to find developpers to help out…

If you put # before a word on gchange, you will tag the listing or create the hastag if it does not already exist.

https://www.gchange.fr/#/app/market/lg?hash=english

The problem is that this feature is not well-known and there is no index of all tags.

1 « J'aime »

That’s awesome to have this hashtag feature already. The first step would be to make people know about it and use it. Maybe that wouldn’t require a lot of development efforts to put a text box on the front page of Gchange to let people know that they can use #English int their posts to allow posts in English to show up in the search and #Remote to allow all remote services to show up in the search as well. If this is possible, we could prepare a text and see if @kimamila would be ok to add it on the front page ?

1 « J'aime »

You just reminded me to add these tags to my listings. Unfortunately their was only one that was relevant and it is a request (steam key). Nevertheless it still is better than nothing and I would be happy to send my G1 « abroad »… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 « J'aime »

We had this feature at girala.net:

https://girala.net/en/node?field_ambit_target_id=All&field_percentatge_acceptacio_target_id=All&field_a_domicili_online_value=1