Creating (or improving existing) Libre Currency website(s)?

– french below
Hi there! Today I spoke with some people who would like to make the Ğ1 known in german-speaking communitites.
Honestly, I find the monnaie-libre.fr website very nice and visually appealing. I wondered if it would not be better to try to set up some kind of translation mechanism directly into the code of the site? What do you think @ManUtopiK?

Hello !
Aujourd’hui j’ai eu des contacts avec plusieurs personnes parlant allemand. Nous connaissons des germanophones qui seraient intéressés à en savoir plus sur la Ğ1, mais on a remarqué qu’une chose qui manque, c’est un site simple qui explique un peu comment ça fonctionne en allemand. Personnellement, je trouve que le site monnaie-libre.fr est très parlant visuellement, et aussi au niveau des fonctionnalités, et je me demandais s’il ne serait pas plus simple de mettre en place un méchanisme de traduction, plutôt que chacun fasse son petit site de son côté ? Qu’en penses-tu @ManUtopiK ? Pour ce qui est du côté réalisation technique, je pense que je pourrais donner un coup de main :slight_smile:, si c’est une solution qui te paraît viable. Cela ne voudrait pas dire qu’il n’y pas d’autre site germanophone ou anglophone, mais ça serait un bon point de départ, non ?

1 « J'aime »

Nice to see interested people in Germany!
Translation is on the todo list.
I think there will be two kind of translations ; some fixed sentences of the interface, and the articles.

If I set this mechanism, are you up for contributing to help us improve some translations ?
It’ll be welcome. I absolutely know nothing in German :confused:

I’m in Switzerland :slight_smile:
Yes I would help translate in German, and in English. I think we could do it with JSON files at first, but I think it would be nice to integrate a translation platform such as weblate in the long term (also for other projects). An example can be found here: https://weblate.framasoft.org/.
If you don’t have time to do it or if you need help, I can probably give some hours. I have experience with react-i18n and the integration with another translation platform.

A new category was opened for German language #rencontres:allemagne

There is a call to translate some application here

Hey!

If that helps I started a website in english but never finished it: https://librecurrency.wordpress.com/
It’s on Wordpress.com and I wasn’t planning on leaving it on there. I was just trying to figure out some wording and layout that would be more appealing to american people than the existing English website.

@ManUtopiK good to know the translation is on the todo list. Who is working on it ? If you need help, I could work on it.

2 « J'aime »

Hi @trayeur @ManUtopiK @arbocenc @scanlegentil @test!

I talked to @yann last week as he joined our online meeting with american people interested in the Libre Currency. There might be some people at Econolibre who could help to translate the website in English. I am trying to put together a group of people to work on that.

I could move on with the work I started on the main structure/layout + content translation (Learn the basics – Libre Currency Ğ1), but I would need some help to decide the structure (we might need to adjust the existing French website to the american culture to be more « straight to the point » even though the monnaie-libre.fr is great from a French perspective) + I need some help to decide and manage the technical aspect for hosting/new domain name vs using the monnaie-libre.fr to create an english version of that one.

Here is the structure I was thinking of (in parenthesis are potential alternative names for these sections):

• Introduction (home)
  • Learn (Learn the basics/How it works?)
    • Understand the basics (how it works?)
    • Economic policy
    • Web of Trust
    • Blockchain Duniter
    • Innovation (difference with other cryptocurrencies)
    • Vocabulary
    • Resources
  • Get started (Create a wallet)
    • Individuals
    • Businesses
    • Developpers
    • Create a G1 wallet
    • Tools and marketplaces
    • Running a node
  • Community
    • Forum
    • Events
    • Find G1 users
    • Develop a local economy
  • FAQ
  • Donate

Anybody interested in putting up an online meeting to discuss these points ? @Yann could we add this project to the project library of Econolibre ? What do you recommend to move on this project ?

3 « J'aime »

Hey @MissSoph. Thanks for bringing the international community forward! On my side, I’m currently translating the monnaie-libre.fr website in german with 2-3 other people. I like this one, and I think it’s the best one for new users where I’m living. I don’t know about the american culture of getting straight to the point, but it would surely be a benefit for the entire international community to have such a website. Maybe we could also have both of them (a translation of monnaie-libre.fr just as it is now and another site which is more « straight » to the point.) I’m not sure it makes sense to build on top of the existing monnaie-libre.fr website if you want a completely different structure.

Hi,

I’m just working on setup a Weblate platform for the Duniter / G1 software ecosystem, as we told on the Duniter forum. I could have the job done in few days. Is it OK for you?

About the more English focused structure (straight to the point). I think the Catalan and Spanish websites are, do you want to have a look at them?

My feedback on the wordpress site.

There are a lot of angles from which to talk about libre currency. So making a good first impressiond is challenging.

I don’t think it is enough to highlight the concepts or theoreticals of G1 first and foremost. People are going to have a « show me » attitude, more so than average on the topic of alternative (crypto)currencies. For reference, there is a state within the US nicknamed « the Show Me State ».

I would say that attitude is generally pervasive outside of that state. A « crypto coin » with the ambition of becoming a currency (« with a really good whitepaper and team!! ») is a story many people have heard before.

There is a reason why I show people gchange (in the absence of a website). gchange demonstrates an honest attempt at building an economy.

Instead of the basics, the first things I would blast in people’s faces is a gallery of G1 being used as a currency. Either screenshots of gchange or photos of stores (even if they are French stores) that accept G1.

Photos such as the gallery at the bottom of the page on the Cesium website:

But I would instead put that at the top of the page so it is even more obvious.

2 « J'aime »

Here you are 2 more options to show, how is free coin been used:

Merchants and proffesionals who offer services in free currency | Ğirala.net (directory of services)

Merchants and proffesionals who offer services in free currency | Ğirala.net (the same as before, but showing only English translated services)

| Ğirala.net (map)

airbnjune.org is good choice too.

Could you just advertise Girala on gchange?

You probably spent a bunch of time building the website. Just add the hashtag #remote if you are concerned about being pushed down by newer ads on gchange and|or #freesoftware if your website is also free and open source software.

You can share this site which is a directory about the G1 ecosystem. I implemented multi-language even if the major part of resources is in french. I can update these resources with new ones (in their proper language) if there are more and more to reference.

1 « J'aime »

I’m sorry, I don’t understand why should I advertise girala.net on gchange.fr … Maybe it’s due to my English skills :-p

But girala.net is just an alternative to gchange. It has different strong points:

• it’s multilanguage, you can use girala.net in English, German, Occitan, Spanish, Serbian, Italian, Portuguese and some more (lastly we added Russian, Arabic and Chinese, but there are not translated strings on these languages yet).

• it’s easy to use

• it’s focused on services, not in second hand products or single products in general.

To engage people it is more exciting, for example, girala.net or airbnjunes than just the gchange.fr link, showing just second hand products, in an only French website. For example, airbnjunes looks more modern and its services, lots of European apartments, etc. are just beautiful!

gchange is also multi-language. The flag button changes the language setting. For both girala and gchange, changing the language setting only changes the interface and doesn’t change the language the viewer is exposed to.

I suggested advertising girala on gchange because juneted offering a alternative marketplace focused on clothing and apparel didn’t stop it from advertising itself on gchange.

I don’t know Weblate. But I figure the technical thing with a server host, it’s set up now. Ready for translation!! Yay!!!

Thank you for the examples of Spanish / Catalan websites.
I think Monnaie-Libre.fr is great, but it would be nice to be able to access a section « getting started » and a section to find out how to meet people straight from the top menu …

@paidge thank you for this idea! We could have a resources section that redirect people on your website if there is a proper english section on it.

We are putting together a team for this translation. @test thank you for your feedback, would you like to join the team? If anybody is interested to join, please follow theses steps :

Go to the Translation Center here : Libre Currency : 🛠️ Translation Center

1- Click on the orange button « Join the team » so that you can create a profile and I can then give you access to the edition mode.

2-Try to modify a page in the Sand Box (second orange button) to see if you understand how this website works (if any questions, just ask me)

3-Go at the bottom of the Translation center page and pick a page to translate, click on « Modify » and add yourself as a lead or contributor (as you wan). You can change the status of that page when you are done with the modifications…

4-Go on the page and modify it. You can add comments in the red header box for other people to know where you are at in that page and what kind of help is needed.

Thank you so much for your help :pray: I tried to organise it as much as I could so it would be as simple as possible.

Both gchange and girala.net has localization (l10n, interface translated) but Gchange only has 4 languages, and girala.net has 13 :slight_smile:

In the other hand, girala.net lets internationalization (i18n, services/announces translation), depending on every author/owner. For example, you can get this service in English:

Or in Catalan and 3 more languages:

https://girala.net/ca/service/easyappointments

By the way, I’ve linked the top menu entry of girala.net (g1, what’s it), with your new English website : https://girala.net/en

What was the purpose of libre-currency.org? If it’s down, I can remove the link from https://duniter.fr/g1/

For now it’s being redirected to g1currency.org, which is the website we are working on to present G1 by roughly translating monnaie-libre.fr.
But eventually we could use librecurrency.org to make a website dedicated to all libre currencies if there would be a second one (g2 created) to explain the concept in itself.

Can you put g1currency.org on the Duniter website instead ?

1 « J'aime »

Sorry, I did not remember this call. I am joining.

[edit] I created an account, but I have no rights to see the translations. I get the message

Vous n’êtes pas autorisé à lire cette page

Is there a reason not to make these translations public? I’m not confortable with working on not opened-source content that can disappear at any moment if the hosting server crashes.

Just reading your message now, yes we just hide it because it’s a bit messy for now, but will be published as soon as it is ready for publication. Maybe we could make everything public for transparency purposes but a lot of people already have the link so they might not feel like coming back to the website again if they visit it now and see how messy it is…

1 « J'aime »